Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Super Bowl Redux

Note: I intended to write this peace yesterday, but with Colts loss (I'm a huge fan) I needed a day to get over the loss to the Saints.

My 10 thoughts from Sunday's Big Game.

10.) 106 million people watched the Super Bowl. 1/3 of our population watched the Super Bowl! It was the largest TV audience ever, breaking the record of the last M*A*S*H episode. This is remarkable in this day of endless viewing options.

Now, if the NFL owners and players screw up what they have going in their CBA negotiations and have a lockout of any kind - they would be the biggest fools on earth. The money pie is huge...8 Billion dollars huge! You can figure out a way for everyone to get a nice slice.

9.) I hated the Colts losing. Hated it. But if they were going to lose to a team in the NFL - I'm cool with it being the Saints. Drew Brees is a good dude. Despite the disappointment I felt after the game, seeing Drew holding his cute little boy after the game while his eyes filled with tears...that was special.

8.) Seriously, how long will we have to pay for Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction"? I don't have anything against The Who, but we need a more relevant halftime experience. The only thing that held that act together was an amazing stage production. That was wow. Here are some safe, but relevant suggestions for next year: 1) a country collage of Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill and Carrie Underwood. 2) Kings of Leon, Coldplay or Maroon 5. 3) U2. OR, put these guys on a 7 second delay: 1) Jay Z and Rihanna. 2) The Black Eyed Peas.

7.) The biggest play of the game form a football perspective was not the interception, the onside kick, but Pierre Garcon's drop in the second quarter. Manning hit Pierre in the hands around the 50 yard line, with about 25 more yards of running room. The Colts are almost guaranteed to score again, which would have eliminated one of the Saints possessions. Colts would have had a two possession lead, and I believe won the game.

6.) Peyton Manning is the most unjustly scrutinized player in sports. Maybe in sports history. He throws for 333 yds, and TD and a INT that people with real football knowledge know was on Reggie Wayne's unusual break to the ball - and somehow we are back to the Peyton can't win when the big game is on the line. I won't defend him long, because I'm admittedly partial, but give me a break.

5.) My Favorite Super Bowl Ads:
1.) The Doritos "Play Nice" (The little boy putting smack down on his mommas date.
2.) Lebron vs. Dwight vs. Larry Bird
3.) Betty White Snickers Bar
4.) Leno, Oprah, Letterman
5.) Jim Nance, FLOW TV Spineless man
6.) E-trade Jealous Baby Girlfriend
7.) Audi Green Police

4.) My Least Favorite Super Bowl Ads:
1.) Career Builder - Casual Day. Still have a little vomit in my mouth over that.
2.) Go Daddy Ads - How many miles of slutiness can they get out of these?
3.) Monster.com - Gopher/Beaver, Whatever it was it was weird and made no sense.
4.) Coke Sleep walking - Yawn.
5.) Charles Barkley/Taco Bell - yeah, Barkley needs a super size combo meal.
6.) Audi Green Police (Yeah, I know it's on both lists. If the Green Police weren't intended to be satirical, then I didn't like it.)

3.) Speaking of commercials. The Pam/Tim Tebow commercial. You know the one that got the NOW (National Organization of you better think like we do or you’re not a real Woman group) and other feminist groups all stirred up into a tizzy? Here is what I think: The groups that were crying that this ad was offensive and demeaning to women. The groups calling for CBS to pull the ad - These groups should be embarrassed of themselves. I don't mean a little flush in the cheeks embarrassed, I mean head in the sand, go on vacation for a month, profusely apologetic type of embarrassed at themselves for creating a firestorm over this ad. I emphasized should for a reason.

Terry O'Neil, the president of NOW, responded to the commercial by saying, "I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it," she said. "That’s what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don’t find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself."

So let me get this straight...Tim Tebow and Focus on the Family are "celebrating violence against women"? I'm sorry, but these assertions can only be described as idiocy, absurd, madness and lunacy.

2.) I think Jim Nance may be one of the best sports broadcasters of all time. He is so underrated.

1.) I feel a little pit in my stomach because it has just occurred to me that football is on hiatus until September...ah well, we have March Madness soon.

- Brad