Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Thank You, Michael Smith.

Last month the country celebrated and acknowledged Martin Luther King Jr. - the champion of Civil rights in the 1960s. I can't think of anything more shameful in our countries history, save maybe the total loss of sanctity regarding human life, than Racism. MLK made a difference in history like few people have - he caused generational change. I thank him for it.

This past Sunday two African American coaches, (I prefer to just view them as Americans who happen to be black) won their respective conference championships. Tony Dungy with the Colts and Lovie Smith with the Bears. Tony is and has been my favorite coach in all of sports. He is a man of God. He is a man of Integrity and well I could go on and one, but you get the point. I honestly have never thought of him as a BLACK coach until this week when the media has shoved it down my throat. Lovie and Tony are being asked more about being black than being champions. The acknowledgement of the historical importance of two black men coaching in the NFL is worthy and valid, but it is being discussed so much that it is has become nauseating. Nauseating enough for Dungy to point out to Sal Paolantonio that the victory was the Colts victory, not a black coach's victory.


With these thoughts in mind I came across Michael Smith's Article: It's character, not color, that separates Smith, Dungy


Michael, a black writer for ESPN.com, expresses this point in words far superior to mine. Its worth the read.


Go Colts, and Go Dungy!