Monday, July 14, 2008

Understanding God

When great heartache and difficulty enters your life as a believer, you are sometimes left to ask God the most famous 1 word question: "Why?"

It is a fair question, especially when you consider wow many time David asked why in his Psalms. The answer is usually illusive in the middle of the storm. If you are like me, and want answers to all your questions immediately (thanks to Google) the silence can be frustrating.

In these situations I am reminded of a special truth I learned from David Kemp, one of my Bible professors in college. When asked about understanding the ways of God one day, Dr. Kemp said,
"You don't want a God that you can fully understand. A God you can understand is
limited by the small and finite capacity of your brain. You want to serve a God
who is infinitely greater than what your puny mind can comprehend."

So, the greatest response to suffering is simply to echo the words of Job, words later put to music by Matt Redman. "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD." - Job 1:21

- Brad